amazone

Saturday, January 30, 2016

January 30th

On this day - January 30th 1948 - Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated 



Mahatma Gandhi was the leader of the Indian Independence movement in India during the British rule. He is known for his employment of non-violent civil obedience and he has inspired freedom-movements around the whole world. He is often described as the father of India by Indians.
Gandhi was assassinated by the militant hindu nationalist, Mathuram Godse, in New Dehli. Ghandi was shot three times in close range and died shortly after. This was the fifth attempt at assassination of Ghandi, the first one occurred already in 1934. Godse was arrested shortly after and sentenced to death in February 1949.


If I am to die by the bullet of a mad man, I must do so smiling. There must be no anger within me. God must be in my heart and on my lips - Ghandi January 28th 1948

 

No comments:

Post a Comment